Saturday, July 31, 2010

An end to Fillings?

Tooth Regeneration Gel

Many times I have considered what it would be like growing older and well, I was once diagnosed with osteoporosis. People with Klinefelter's Syndrome (XXY or 47,XXY) often experience a wide variety of issues relating to a dysfunctional endocrine and/or metabolic system. Among those issues is Taurodontism (dental problem of more pulp than bony tooth and enamel), and I have always suspected weak bones lead to weak teeth. The article talks about MSH, a pituitary hormone that participates in the regeneration of bone and incidentally teeth.

See Melanocyte-Stimulating Hormone (MSH) for an explanation of how MSH works, and for the part about how humans have this hormone present in our bodies but unlike animals we do not have a similar production of the hormone from the normal pituitary gland.

From my point of view this is a major advancement in medical knowledge, and the very idea of keeping my teeth and strengthening the bones is definitely a plus. Hope to see more advancements to support the removal of drills and fillings from dental work in the near future.

:)

Onnineko

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there's a link between weak bones and Taurodontism. Firstly I had Taurodontism, only 17 teeth in total to be precise, that's how big my teeth were roughly twice as big as normal. But I have never had weak bones.

    Taurodontism is associated with XXY and XXYY and lots of other people. It's a good indicator of an genetic abnormality, but not a guarantee.

    Dentists & Orthodontists ought to be encouraged to refer teenage boys and men with Taurodontism for genetic testing when observed.

    ReplyDelete